December 28, 2017
Full Home Control At Your Finger Tips
|The 2nd Generation Amazon Echo is amazing. I first was exposed to it visiting a friends house over Christmas and was instantly hooked and amazed. |
The annoyance of having to pick up a phone is gone, you simply ask out and Alexa responds, you can control wifi enabled devices like lights, power outlets, thermostats and much more.
Now Google Home may be a better option for compatibility with more services but time will tell.
- The 2nd Generation Amazon Echo connects to Alexa who is a cloud-based voice service similar to Google Home, you can ask it to play music, make calls, set alarms and timers, ask questions, check your calendar, weather, traffic, and sports scores, manage to-do and shopping lists, control smart home devices, and more with your voice.
- You can ask the Amazon Echo for a song, artist, or genre from Amazon Prime Music, Spotify, Radioplayer and more. With multi-room music, you can play music on compatible Echo devices in different rooms.
- Call or message almost anyone hands-free with your Amazon Echo device. Also, instantly connect to other Amazon Echo devices in your home using just your voice.
- The Amazon Echo has powerful speakers with Dolby processing fill the room with immersive, 360° omni-directional audio, and deliver crisp vocals and dynamic bass response
- With seven microphones, beamforming technology, and noise cancellation, Amazon Echo hears you from any direction—even while music is playing
- Just ask Alexa to control your compatible smart lights, thermostats, locks, and more
- Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new features and skills. Just ask Alexa to control your TV, check flight status, and more.
- Alexa Voice Service is currently only available in English (French language not supported)
Fun things you can do with Alexa
http://www.zdnet.com had a fun list of things to try with Alexa:
1) Alexa, the Dude abides. What can we say? Alexa has a taste for the classics.
2) Alexa, make me a sandwich. The answer you get here is pretty useless, but it’s the perfect setup for the next command.
3) Alexa, sudo make me a sandwich. This is the sort of thing that delights geeks. If you’re not a command-line geek, you can just smile and nod the way you do when we start waxing poetic about grep and awk and Game of Thrones and The Expanse. It’s okay. We’re used to it.
4) Alexa, keep calm and carry on. God save the Queen.
5) Alexa, set volume to 11. It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever. Try it. Then reset it back down to something that won’t blow out your eardrums.
6) Alexa, sing a song. Let’s be clear here. Don’t ask Alexa to play a song. You want to say, specifically, “sing a song.” It’s charming.
7) Alexa, talk like Yoda. May the Force be with you.
8) Alexa, can you rap? Is there anything Alexa can’t do?
9) Alexa, what is pi? The answer is the sort of thing you’d expect from a smart AI assistant. On the other hand…
10) Alexa, what is the value of pi? This is the sort of answer you’d expect from a smart-ass AI assistant. Let’s just say Amazon has all those data centers for a reason.
11) Alexa, more cowbell. Never question the Bruce Dickinson.
12) Alexa, do you have any pets? Every day, she’s getting better and better.
13) Alexa, tell me a dirty joke. Make sure the kids leave the room first. You can ask this a bunch of times.
14) Alexa, find Chuck Norris. Probably best not to ask this.
15) Alexa, hello HAL. This probably means more to me than you — unless your name is also David.
16) Alexa, sneeze. Sometimes, it just seems like Alexa’s developers need to get out more.
17) Alexa, up up down down left right left right b a start. Delightful, especially if you’re into another kind of classics.
18) Alexa, never going to give you up, never going to let you down. No comment.
Amazon Echo Specifications
|Size||148 mm x 88 mm x 88 mm|
|Weight||821 grams Actual size and weight may vary by manufacturing process|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks. Does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.|
|Bluetooth connectivity||Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming from your mobile device to Echo or from Echo to your Bluetooth speaker. Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of connected mobile devices. Hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices. Bluetooth speakers requiring PIN codes are not supported.|
|Audio||63.5 mm woofer and 16 mm tweeter|
|Alexa App||The Alexa App is compatible with Android and iOS devices.|
|Warranty and Service||1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional 1-year, 2-year, and 3-year extended warranty available for Canada customers sold separately.|